PROF VICKI LAMBERT
Director, Health through Physical Activity Lifestyle and Sport Research Centre (HPALS), Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town
PhD (Physiology), University of Cape Town (1993)
Thesis title: Factors affecting energy expenditure and efficiency of fuel utilization: feeding and exercise models
MS (Exercise Physiology), University of South Carolina, USA (1983)
BA (Phys Ed), Furman University, USA (1980)
ESSM RESEARCH GROUPS
- Physical Activity, Nutrition and Obesity (PANO)
- Physical activity and obesity in health and disease in communities in transition and the Global South
- Childhood physical activity and obesity
- Behaviour change and community-based interventions
- Obesity, food insecurity and physical activity: solving wicked problems
- Regulation of energy metabolism and metabolic sequelae in leanness and obesity and finally
- B2-rated research scientist, National Research Foundation, South Africa
- Consultant to the United States Centers for Disease Control and World Health Organization (WHO) on issues related to the Role of Diet and Activity in the Prevention of Non-Communicable Diseases, and Developing a Global Policy for Promoting Physical Activity for Health, wih particular emphasis on the Global South (various technical meetings, 1993-2016)
- Chair of the African Physical Activity Network (AFPAN) from its inception in 2007 until 2013.
- Chair of Agita Mundo, Global Network for Social Mobilisation for Physical Activity and Health, and council of the International Society for Physical Activity and Health (ISPAH)
- Member of the Executive Council of the International Society for Physical Activity and Health.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Council for the International Obesity Task Force (2009-2014)
- South African principle Investigator for Modeling the Epidemiological Transition study (METS) (2009-present)
- Co-principal investigator for WDF- funded, school-based intervention, Health Kick (2009-2014)
- South African principal investigator for the ISCOLE study (International Study on Childhood Obesity, Lifestyle and Environment).
- Lead investigator for the STOP-SA Study (Slow, Stop or Stem the Tide of Obesity in the People of South Africa).
- Lead the initiative for Healthy Active Kids South Africa 2007, 2010, and 2014, 2016 in conjunction with other tertiary academic institutions, NGO’s and private sector stakeholders.
- Member of the national obesity task team that recently drafted the South African National Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Obesity 2015-2020
Tel: +27 21 650 4571