PROF. TIMOTHY NOAKES
PROF. TIMOTHY NOAKES
- Emeritus Professor in the Division of Exercise Science and Sports Medicine at UCT
- Co-Founder and Executive Co-Director, Sports Science Institute of South Africa
- MBChB: 1974 - University of Cape Town
- MD: 1981 - Thesis title – “Exercise and the Heart”
- DSc: 2002 - Doctor of Science in Medicine degree in Exercise Science (UCT)
- PhD (h.c.): Vrije University, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- FACSM: Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine
- (hon) FFSEM (UK): Honorary Fellowship of the Faculty of Sport and Exercise Medicine (UK)
ESSM RESEARCH GROUPS
- Health and well-being
- Exercise in the management of chronic disease
- Injuries and medical conditions associated with sport and exercise
- Exercise performance
- Fluid and exercise
- Brain regulation of exercise performance
- Nutrition and health
- 1992 - Elected Fellow of the University of Cape Town for sustained excellence in original scientific work.
- 1995 - Selection Committee – International Olympic Committee (I.O.C.) Olympic Science Prize.
- 1996 - Citation Award of the American College of Sports Medicine.
- 1999 - Elected Founding Member, IOC Olympic Academy of Sports Sciences, Medical Commission, International Olympic Committee.
- 2001 - International Cannes Grand Prix Award for Research in Medicine and Water for his studies of water intoxication in athletes.
- 2004,2010 - National Research Foundation rating as an A1 scientist (the highest possible rating in South African Science).
- 2006 - National Foundation for Research and Technology: Award for Individual over a Lifetime.
- 2006 - Recipient of Men’s Health Best Man Award in Science and Technology for 2006.
- 2008 - Order of Mapungubwe: Silver (OMS). Awarded by the President of South Africa for “excellent contribution in the field of sports and the science of physical exercise”.
- 2009 - IMMDA Lifetime achievement in marathon sports medicine research award.
- 2010 - Nominated Sport Legend for 2010 by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport, Western Cape Government.
- 2012 - NRF Lifetime Achieve Award
- 2013 - One of 100 World Class South Africans. City Press, 28 April 2013, p.29.
- Southern African Association for the Advancement of Science (S2A3) Gold Medal.
- Co-founder of the Sports Science Institute of South Africa.
- Author of Lore of Running, Challenging Beliefs, Waterlogged, co-author of Bob Woolmer’s Art and Science of Cricket, scientific author of The Real Meal Revolution and Die Kos Revolusie and co-author of Always Believe in Magic.
- Author or co-author of more than 500 scientific publications in peer reviewed journals. More than 15000 citations and an H-index of 66.
- Has run more than 70 marathon and ultra-marathon races, including seven 90km Comrades Marathons and fifteen 56km Two Oceans Marathons.
Tel: +27 21 650 2459