PROF ALISON V. SEPTEMBER
- PhD (Human Genetics), University of Cape Town (2003)
- MSc (Medicine) (Human Genetics), University of Cape Town (1999)
- BSc (Med)(Hons) (Human Genetics), University of Cape Town (1996)
- BSc, University of Cape Town (1992)
ESSM RESEARCH GROUP
- Injuries and medical conditions associated with sport and exercise
- Identification of the genetic risk factors underlying soft tissue injuries such as Achilles tendon injuries and anterior cruciate ligament ruptures. Of particular interest is the role of genes encoding proteins involved in the matrix remodelling of tendons and ligaments in the aetiology of soft tissue injuries.
- Other interest include the elucidation of risk factors underpinning both injury and recovery of sports concussion
- C2-rated research scientist, National Research Foundation, South Africa
- Faculty of Health Sciences Board member
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Autoimmune Diseases and Rheumatology, Synergy publishers
- Committee member of the South African Women in Science and Engineering (SAWISE): educational portfolio (http://web.uct.ac.za/org/sawise/)
- Reviewed manuscripts for the following journals:
British Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthritis Research & Therapy, South African Medical Journal, Biochemical Genetics, South African Journal for Research in Sport, International SportMed Journal, Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery, Research BioFactors, The Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, Journal of Metabolic Brain disease and the International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.